Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Who Am I?

A simple question with infinite meaning can often times be ignored
Because the question one thinks is simple is often not simply answered

Which came first: the egg or the bird? We often have asked ourselves
And strangely no answer can come from the question upon which our mind may dwell

“Who am I” I ask, a question so simple but with no answer of which I’m aware
So how easy a question so simple and honest can be something deeper I’ll share

I often was taught that I came from a God who loves me and shows me he cares
Later at school I learned that a person is the clothes that he or she wears

Nature and nurture determine the person which we will one day become
Some traits are genetic, some traits come from parents, and those traits make up the grand sum

There’s Moses and Jesus and Darwin and Freud, and others with grand explanations
But can their answers be taken for truth without having further citations?

My feelings, my thoughts, my words, and my acts aren’t always unique to me
But ALL of my feelings, my thoughts, and my words in nobody else you will see

Some tell me of heaven and what I’ll become the minute right after I die
Some tell me that death is the end of this life, and you’ll never come back if you try

So often I wonder: does my existence have existence far beyond this small earth?
Can my existence exist on forever, and did I exist before birth?

Some give me answers without telling how, others the “hows” without “whys”
But no one can answer what happens hereafter until that same person dies

Some say we are one, just a different projection of who “we” really are
I’d say that’s an answer, but in my own answer I wouldn’t go quite that far

My answer is this, I know who I am, because who I am is me
And this person I am, or who I become is exactly who I want to be

I might not know all of the answers, like where I’ll go when I die
Or whether or not we lived before birth, or if God watches down from the sky

But the answer I know is who I am now, and knowing that sets me free
To do the things I feel I should do, and to be who I want to be

Some people may say I am lost or confused, or maybe I just lost my way
Because I choose not to believe, or to do, or to say the things that they say

You’ll never be me and I’ll never be you, so how can you know who I am?
Some tell me I’m this, some tell me I’m that, so how can I tell what’s the scam?

So I will decide what’s best for me, and you must decide for you
Because I am one, cause if I were we, then we would have to be two

So questions of who we become after death or what we were before birth
Don’t have to be all of or part of the answer of who we are when we live on this earth

I do things and says things that others find odd, but also I find others strange

But if we can just accept who we are, then acceptance requires no change

No comments:

Post a Comment